Dec 7, 2021

Adult Faith Formation, November 9th -- Session 4 -- St John of the Cross and the Dark Nights

 In this session, we discuss the dark night of the sense and the dark night of the soul. We focus especially on the illuminate way of the proficients - the way of infused contemplation.  Additionally, we discuss the poetry of St John of the Cross.


Listen online [here]!





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Carmelite Spirituality

Adult Faith Formation Series, October/November 2021

Session 4: St John of the Cross and the Dark Nights

 

Class Schedule, Tuesdays from 7 to 8pm

October 12th – Introduction to Christian Prayer and Carmelite Spirituality

October 19th – Historical Notes on the Carmelites; Introduction to the Three Ages of the Interior Life

October 26th – St Teresa’s Insights, The Seven Mansions of the Interior Castle

November 2nd – No Class, Catholics For Life Meeting

November 9th – The Dark Nights of St John of the Cross; Appreciating St John’s Poetry

November 16th – The Little Way of St Therese of Lisieux

November 23rd – Carmelite Saints and other Resources (Divine Intimacy)

November 30th – Carmelite Devotions, especially those suited to Advent (The Infant of Prague)

 

 

I. Review:

A. The Three Ages of the Interior Life

Active or Purgative way of Beginners – Illuminative way of Proficients – Unitive Way of the Perfect.

Comparisons of attitudes in each age: Desire for death, fear of praise/blame.

 

B. The Dark Night of the Senses and the Dark Night of the Soul within the Three Ages.

 

 

II. Poetry of St John of the Cross

 

Spiritual Verses

 

Seeking love always

with hope that cannot falter

I flew ever higher

till I overtook my prey.

 

I. So I might seize the prey

in this divine venture

I flew ever higher

from sight was forced to stray,

yet love so far did fly

that though in my flight

I faltered in the height

I caught the prey on high.

 

II. As higher I ascended

so the hardest conquest

came about in darkness,

all my sight was dazzled:

yet since love was my prey

from blind dark a leaper

I flew on ever higher

till I overtook the prey.

III. In this highest game,

the further I ascended

the humbler, more subdued

more abased I became.

‘None attains it’, I did say.

I sank down lower, lower,

yet I rose higher, higher

and so I took the prey.

 

IV. My one flight in strange manner

surpassed a hundred thousand

for the hope of highest heaven

attains the end it hopes for:

there hope alone did fly

unfaltering in the height:

hope, seeking in its flight,

I caught the prey on high.

 

 

 

STANZAS OF THE SOUL THAT SUFFERS WITH LONGING TO SEE GOD

 

I live, but not in myself,

and I have such hope

that I die because I do not die.

 

I. I no longer live within myself

and I cannot live without God,

for having neither him nor myself

what will life be?

It will be a thousand deaths,

longing for my true life

and dying because I do not die.

 

II. This life that I live

is no life at all,

and so I die continually

until I live with you;

hear me, my God:

I do not desire this life,

I am dying because I do not die.

 

III. When I am away from you

what life can I have

except to endure

the bitterest death known?

I pity myself,

for I go on and on living,

dying because I do not die.

 

IV. A fish that leaves the water

has this relief:

the dying it endures

ends at last in death.

What death can equal my pitiable life?

For the longer I live, the more drawn out is my dying.

 

V. When I try to find relief

seeing you in the Sacrament,

I find this greater sorrow:

I cannot enjoy you wholly.

All things are affliction

since I do not see you as I desire,

and I die because I do not die.

 

VI. And if I rejoice, Lord,

in the hope of seeing you,

yet seeing I can lose you

doubles my sorrow.

Living in such fear

and hoping as I hope,

I die because I do not die.

 

VII. Lift me from this death,

my God, and give me life;

do not hold me bound

with these bonds so strong;

see how I long to see you;

my wretchedness is so complete

that I die because I do not die.

 

VIII. I will cry out for death

and mourn my living

while I am held here

for my sins.

O my God, when will it be

that I can truly say:

now I live because I do not die?

 

 

Summa de la perfeccion

 

Olvido de lo criado,

memoria del Criador,

atencion a lo interior

y estarse amando al Amado.

The Sum of Perfection

 

Forgetfulness of created things,

remembrance of the Creator,

attention turned toward inward things,

and loving the Beloved.

 


 

A GLOSS (WITH A SPIRITUAL MEANING)

 

Not for all of beauty

will I ever lose myself,

but for I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly gained.

 

I. Delight in the world's good things

at the very most

can only tire the appetite

and spoil the palate;

and so, not for all of sweetness

will I ever lose myself,

but for I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

II. The generous heart

never delays with easy things

but eagerly goes on

to things more difficult.

Nothing satisfies it,

and its faith ascends so high

that it tastes I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

III. He who is sick with love,

whom God himself has touched,

finds his tastes so changed

that they fall away

like a fevered man's

who loathes any food he sees

and desires I-don't know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

IV. Do not wonder

that the taste should be left like this,

for the cause of this sickness

differs from all others;

and so he is withdrawn

from all creatures,

and tastes I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

V. For when once the will

is touched by God himself,

it cannot find contentment

except in the Divinity;

but since his Beauty is open

to faith alone, the will

tastes him in I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

VI. Tell me, then, would you pity

a person so in love,

who takes no delight

in all creation;

alone, mind empty of form and figure,

finding no support or foothold,

he tastes there I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

VII. Do not think that he who lives

the so-precious inner life

finds joy and gladness

in the sweetness of the earth;

but there beyond all beauty

and what is and will be and was,

he tastes I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

VIII. Whoever seeks to advance

takes much more care

in what he has yet to gain

than in what he has already gained;

and so I will always tend

toward greater heights;

beyond all things, to I-don't-know- what

which is so gladly found.

 

IX. I will never lose myself

for that which the senses

can take in here,

nor for all the mind can hold,

no matter how lofty,

nor for grace or beauty,

but only for I-don't-know-what

which is so gladly found.

 

Letrilla Navideña

 

Del Verbo divino

la Virgen preñada

viene de camino:

si le dais posada!

Christmas Refrain

 

The Virgin, weighted

with the Word of God,

comes down the road:

if only you’ll shelter her.


 

SONG OF THE SOUL THAT REJOICES IN KNOWING GOD THROUGH FAITH

 

For I know well the spring that flows and runs,

although it is night.;

 

I. That eternal spring is hidden,

for I know well where it has its

rise,

although it is night.

 

II. I do not know its origin, nor has it one,

but I know that every origin has come from it,

although it is night.

 

III. I know that nothing else is so beautiful,

and that the heavens and the earth drink there,

although it is night.

 

IV. I know well that it is bottomless

and no one is able to cross it,

although it is night.

 

V. Its clarity is never darkened,

and I know that every light has

come from it,

although it is night.

VI. I know that its streams are so brimming

they water the lands of hell, the heavens, and earth,

although it is night.

 

VII. I know well the stream that flows from this spring

is mighty in compass and power,

although it is night.

 

VIII. I know the stream proceeding from these two,

that neither of them in fact precedes it,

although it is night.

 

IX. This eternal spring is hidden

in this living bread for our life's sake,

although it is night.

 

X. It is here calling out to creatures;

and they satisfy their thirst, although in darkness,

because it is night.

 

XI. This living spring that I long for,

I see in this bread of life,

although it is night.

 

The Dark Night

 

Songs of the soul that rejoices in having reached the high state of perfection, which is union with God, by the path of spiritual negation.

 

I. On a dark night,

Kindled in love with yearnings

–oh, happy chance!–

I went forth without being observed,

My house being now at rest.

 

II. In darkness and secure,

By the secret ladder, disguised

–oh, happy chance!–

In darkness and in concealment,

My house being now at rest.

 

III. In the happy night,

In secret, when none saw me,

Nor I beheld aught,

Without light or guide,

save that which burned in my heart.

IV. This light guided me

More surely than the light of noonday

To the place where he (well I knew who!) was awaiting me–

A place where none appeared.

 

V. Oh, night that guided me,

Oh, night more lovely than the dawn,

Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover,

Lover transformed in the Beloved!

 

VI. Upon my flowery breast,

Kept wholly for himself alone,

There he stayed sleeping, and I caressed him,

And the fanning of the cedars made a breeze.

 

VII. The breeze blew from the turret

As I parted his locks;

With his gentle hand he wounded my neck

And caused all my senses to be suspended.

 

VIII. I remained, lost in oblivion;

My face I reclined on the Beloved.

All ceased and I abandoned myself,

Leaving my cares forgotten among the lilies.

 

III. The Dark Nights of St John of the Cross

A key note: The Darkness of these Dark Nights is not because God has removed all light, but because the light given the soul is intensely spiritual and the soul is too weak and too dark itself to perceive this new light.

 

A. Dark Night of the Senses

St John of the Cross says, “The night of sense is common, and the lot of many: these are the geinners.”

And, “The soul began to set out on the way of the spirit, the way of proficients, which is also called the illuminative way, or the way of infused contemplation, wherein God Himself teaches and refreshes the soul without meditation or any active efforts that itself may deliberately make.”

 

Need of the night of sense and purification, due to: Spiritual pride, spiritual sensuality (especially spiritual gluttony), and spiritual sloth.

 

Signs of the night of sense:

1) No comfort in the things of God, but also none in created things

2) The memory dwells ordinarily upon God with a painful anxiety and carefulness, the soul thinks it is not serving God but going backwards, because it nis no longer conscious of any sweetness in the things of God.  The spirit is, nevertheless, ready and strong.

The cause of this dryness is that God is transferring to the spirit the good and energies of the senses, which having no natural fitness for them, become dry, parched up, and empty; but the spirit, having received its proper nourishment, becomes strong, more vigilant and careful than before.

3) The inability to meditate and make reflections; for God begins nw to communicated Himself, no longer through the channel of sense, as formerly, in consecutive reflections, but in pure spirit and in the act of pure contemplation.  This is the principal sign, since this is the entrance to the way of infused contemplation.

 

Conduct of the soul during the night of sense:

1) Docility to our spiritual director and confessor (not trying to hide our weaknesses, obediently taking his advice, humility).

2) Trust in God, not trying to move forward but also not giving into anxiety. Simply examining our conscience to see whether there is anything we should do differently, and then trusting in God’s plan for our soul.

3) A simple and loving gaze on God, without forcing a return to meditation or active reasoning in prayer. In this, a simple reflection upon the Our Father or some other such prayer can help us to be open to infused contemplation – also focusing on love in our prayer.

4) Do not seek consolation in prayer, or try to work up the emotions.

 

B. Dark Night of the Soul

For St John of the Cross, the night of the soul is an anticipated participation in the purification of purgatory.

 

As the passive purification of the sensible part of the soul is manifested by the loss of the sensible consolations to which is was excessively attached, the passive purification of the spirit seems at first to consist in the deprivation of the lights previously receive on the mysteries of the faith.

Having become too familiar with them, the facility with which the soul considered them in prayer caused it to forget their infinite elevation.

 

No longer only a sensible aridity, it is a dryness of the spiritual order.  The sadness of the purification of the spirit is accompanied by an ardent desire for God and perfection, by a persisten seeking after Him who alone can nourish the soul and vivify it.

 

The soul should then walk “in the dark, in pure faith, which is the dark night of the natural faculties.”

 

Consider that at night, we can see the stars in the far distant heavens – we can see much farther at night than in the day.  So also, we perceive more clearly the infinite majesty of God.

 

Consider the image of the damp log which burns – first it becomes very dark, until all the moisture is purified. Then, after being all blackened, the log takes on the nature of the first which burns it – and now it is bright and fully one with the flame.

 

Conduct during the night of the spirit:

1) Generous acceptance of this purification, conformity to the Divine Will

2) Faith in the mystery of the Cross

3) Firm hope and constant prayer

4) The Love of conformity to God’s will and of submission to God’s good pleasure