Jan 31, 2023

An Examination of Conscience based on the Beatitudes, by Fr Ryan Erlenbush

 

Examination of Conscience based on the Beatitudes

This examination could be used in preparation for the sacrament of reconciliation or also in one’s daily examine.

 

Each of the beatitudes was fulfilled perfectly in our Lord Jesus Christ, and we should always begin by reflecting on how he is the perfect model which we imitate.

The “corresponding Virtues and Gifts” listed with each beatitude follow the schema of St Thomas Aquinas, and refer to the seven Theological and Cardinal Virtues as well as the seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit – of course, there are more virtues which relate to each beatitude but all the virtues are related back to these.

 

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Hope and Fear of the Lord.

“The poor in spirit,” says St Augustine, are “the humble and God-fearing.” Therefore, this beatitude relates also to the virtues of humility, reverence, fear of the Lord, and piety.

Am I humble enough to acknowledge my dependence on God for all things? Do I express this awareness in turning to the Lord in daily prayer, in attending Mass at least on Sundays and Holy Days, in showing the Lord reverence in respect in my speech and actions, in keeping Sundays and Holy Days as a day of rest, in fidelity to the Catholic Church?

Do I give in to despair, self-harm, or sloth? Conversely, do I presume on God’s mercy, thinking that I can commit sin without fearing the punishments of God and without concern for how gravely sin offends the Lord?

Am I humble in my relations with my neighbor? Am I proud? Am I honest and truthful in how I relate to myself, to my neighbor, and to God? Do I give into self-pity or self-aggrandizement? Am I boastful? Can I admit to others that I don’t know everything, don’t have all the answers, and sometimes make mistakes?

 

2. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Faith and Knowledge.

St Augustine and the other Fathers tell us that the mourning which leads to beatitude is sorrow for sin – both my sins and those of the whole world.

This beatitude corresponds to the Gift of Knowledge by which the Holy Spirit moves us to judge rightly the things of earth in relation to our vocation to holiness. Thus, knowledge is the gift which is particularly operative when we prepare for confession, since the Holy Spirit reveals to us how our actions have either helped or hindered our spiritual growth.

Furthermore, this beatitude is related to the virtue of moderation insofar as we see things of this life in relation to those of heaven, and do not allow delight in worldly things to take away our spiritual joy.

Am I truly sorry for my sins? Have I allowed the emotion of sorrow to overwhelm me, or have I rather trusted in God and made a firm resolution to amend my life? Have I avoided occasions of sin insofar as this is possible?

Am I moderate in my enjoyment of the things of this world? Do I cling to physical pleasures? Am I moderate in food and drink? Am I balanced in the way I spend my time? Do I watch too much TV or spend too much time on the internet or other technological amusements? Do I allow work to dominate my life, am I a workaholic?

 

3. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Justice and Piety.

St Augustine says, “The meek are those who yield to acts of wickedness, and do not resist evil, but overcome evil with good.”

This beatitude relates especially to the virtue of piety and also to piety as a Gift of the Holy Spirit, as well as to the virtues of reverence and justice. To some degree also, this beatitude relates to fortitude insofar as it pertains to a holy response when mistreated.

Do I respect others as being made in the image of God? When in a disagreement with another, am I humble and patient? Am I willing to listen to others, seeking to understand their point of view rather than insisting on making my own opinion known and understood? Am I quarrelsome, or do I often fight over worldly things and opinions? Do I set politics above my religious beliefs? Do I stand up for the truth, and proclaim it boldly yet also with respect for others? Am I gentle?

Do I show reverence for my parents? Am I obedient to the law and respectful of the rights of the State and Nation? Do I pay my taxes and repay my debts as far as I am able? Do I work for just and upright laws, especially for the legal protection of the unborn?

 

4. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: The Cardinal Virtue of Fortitude and the Gift of Fortitude.

What is the primary focus of my life? Do I seek the things of earth more than the things of heaven? Where have I set my treasure, knowing that there my heart will also be? Do I seek worldly success or material possessions more than an authentic relationship with God? How have I allowed the things of this life to distract me from the pursuit of true virtue, righteousness, and heaven? Do I cultivate a hunger for the Holy Eucharist, and am I attentive to the reading of Sacred Scripture?

Do I act justly in relation to God and my neighbor? Do I do my duties according to my state in life? Do I perform the tasks assigned to me? Am I honest in my work, and do I cultivate a good work ethic?

Do I stand up for the truth and for what is right? Am I truthful and charitable in the way I speak about others? Do I gossip about others, or fall to sins of detraction or calumny? Have I lied?

 

5. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Prudence and Counsel.

St Augustine tells us that the merciful are those who “relieve the miserable.” In a very high degree of perfection, mercy leads us to give spontaneously to others “through reverence for God” and considering “only the needs of those on whom we bestow our gratuitous bounty.” (St Thomas)

Am I merciful? Am I quick to forgive, or do I hold a grudge or seek revenge? Do I pray for those who have wronged me? Do I ask forgiveness when I have done wrong, and accept the apology graciously when it is given?

Do I seek to relieve the misery and suffering of others? Am I generous to the poor? Do I give of myself without counting the cost and without seeking anything in return? Am I caring and compassionate in my dealings with others, especially with the poor and needy, and those with whom I disagree?

When I promote justice and virtue, do I tie up a heavy burden for others to carry without assisting them and accompanying them in their pursuit of holiness? Am I supportive of others?

 

6. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Faith, Temperance, and Understanding.

Notice that the vision of God is promised to the pure of heart – in the Catholic Tradition, we have long seen the connection between the virtue of purity and theological insight. It is no coincidence that St John the Evangelist is called the Virgin Apostle because of his purity, and also his Gospel sores to the heights of theological understanding. Furthermore, St Thomas Aquinas is the greatest theologian, and also the saint of Angelic Purity.

Am I pure in thought, in word, and in action? Have I dwelt on impure thoughts, or intentionally stirred up impure desires? Have I kept custody of my eyes, not seeking out or looking at things which are impure? Am I chase in my speech? Have I been chaste in my actions? Have I committed any sins against the sixth or ninth commandments? Have I avoided and removed occasions of sexual sin and temptation?

 

7. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Corresponding Virtues and Gifts: Charity and Wisdom.

St Thomas Aquinas says, “to make peace either in oneself or among others, shows a man to be a follower of God, who is the God of unity and peace.”

Do I seek peace of heart and strive to maintain peace within my own soul? Do I allow bitterness, discontent, pride, vengeance, greed, or resentment to disturb my inner peace? Do I think back on past hurts or intentionally call to mind people or situations that make me unduly angry or excessively sad? Do I strive to promote peace within my family, my community, my parish, and my place of work? Do I speak words of peace, or do I sow division? Am I an angry person? Am I charitable towards those with whom I disagree? Do I pray for peace in the world? Do I allow secular politics or Church politics to take away my peace and divide me from others? Do I work for peace and justice?

 

8. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Of this eighth beatitude, St Augustine says, “Let anyone who is seeking after the delights of this world and the riches of temporal things under the Christian name, consider that our blessedness is within; … for outwardly revilings, and persecutions, and disparagements are promised; and yet, from these things there is a great reward in heaven, which is felt in the heart of those who endure, those who can now say, ‘We glory in tribulations: knowing that tribulation works patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope makes not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.’”

And St Thomas Aquinas, “The eight beatitude is a confirmation and declaration of all those that precede. Because from the very fact that a man is confirmed in poverty of spirit, meekness, and the rest, it follows that no persecution will induce him to renounce these beatitudes. Hence, the eight beatitude corresponds, in a way, to all the preceding seven.”

Am I able to suffer in silence, trusting in God? Do I complain too much? Do I stand up for the truth of the Catholic Church to the best of my ability? Do I follow my conscience and resist peer pressure? Am I willing to suffer for the Gospel and for my Catholic faith? Am I joyful when I suffer for what is right?